Sunday, July 19, 2015

Hike #15 - Sliding Sands, Haleakala National Park, Maui, HI

The variety of different eco-systems is remarkable on Maui.  After spending several days hiking in the jungle, it was quite a different experience on the Sliding Sands Trail starting at the top of Haleakala. We started early in the morning and the temperature was in the 40's as we reached the top (January).  At first I was worried I would not have enough layers of clothes but we ended up being very comfortable with just a light jacket and hat.  Coming from the desert, I am used to hiking in desert conditions so this was my least favorite trail of our trip.  I would recommend planning ahead and booking a campsite or cabin or leave a car at the trail end and hitchhike to the top of Haleakala to start the trail so you can hike the 10 miles and not have to hike back.  After 2 miles, I decided to turn back. I was glad I did since it was fairly steep and a high altitude that I had not acclimated to.  The area is void of most plant life except for the very interesting whitish green plants called silversword which are unique to Hawaii.
 

 

Silversword 



No comments:

Post a Comment